Golden Gaytime cake recipe
It’s here, and it’s real! An all time Aussie classic can now be made into a cake!
Here’s how you can make one too!
The Golden Gaytime Cake is made of 4 components:
· 2 layered buttercakes
· caramel buttercream filling
· chocolate butter cream frosting
· malt cookie crumbling
Part 1: Butter cake
· 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
· 1/2 cup plain flour
· 150g salted butter, chopped and softened
· 1 cup caster sugar
· 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 3 large eggs (room temp)
· 1/3 cup sour cream
· 2/3 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees (140 degrees Celsius fan-forced). If you are not using a fan-forced oven, adjust the oven rack to the lower half of the oven so that the top of the cake will be in the centre of the oven.
2. Grease the cake tin (I used 2 x 20cm shallow cake tins to save time ).
3. Combine SR flour and plain flour in a bowl – set aside.
4. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed.
5. Increase speed to medium once the sugar is incorporated. Beat the mixture until it is pale and creamy (about five minutes).
6. Add the first egg to the butter mixture and beat on medium speed for about one minute. Repeat with the second egg, then third egg
7. Add the sour cream and beat until just combined (about 10 seconds).
8. Sift half the combined flours over the butter mixture. Add half the milk and, with the machine on very low speed, beat for about 10 seconds until just incorporated.
9. Add the remaining milk and sift in the remaining flour and beat, on very low speed, for 5-10 seconds to combine the ingredients. Stop beating as soon as the ingredients are combined.
10. Spoon mixture into the prepared pans and smooth the surface with a spatula.
11. Bake cakes for about 35-40 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. The cakes should be golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed in the centre.
12. Place pan on a wire rack. When cake has completely cooled, remove from pan.
Part 2: Caramel buttercream (cheats way)
· 115g butter, softened
· 2 cups icing sugar
· 4 tablespoons Top n Fill caramel
1. Beat butter in bowl with electric mixer until pale; add caramel and beat until combined
2. Beat in sifted icing sugar, and in two batches
3. If the mixture is too stiff add 1 – 2 tbsp of milk to soften.
Part 3: Chocolate buttercream
· 125g butter, softened
· 1 1/2 cups icing sugar (240g)
· 2 tablespoons milk
· 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (i melted down 50g of dark chocolate, and took away 1 tablespoon of milk)
1. Beat butter in bowl with electric mixer until pale;
2. Beat in sifted icing sugar, milk and chocolate in two batches.
Part 4: Cookie crumbling
1 Packet of Malt-O-Milk biscuits
1. Roughly cut up ¾ packet of the biscuits.
2. Place the crumbs directly on the cake. Feel free to be messy with it. It’s meant to look rough, messy, uneven. The challenge is putting the cookie crumbles on the side, this will involve slight tilting of the cake.
And a massive thanks to our source for this cake that we don’t know how we ever lived without: https://tinmanstreats.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/recipe-tts-golden-gaytime-cake/